Friday, January 30, 2015

My Hope

Recently I heard a sermon by Pastor Steve Scott.  He talked about “Returning to the Purposes of God, Resisting the Press of the World, and Resting in the Promise of Christ.” 
He made this impactful statement, “Culture is designed to move us from faith to doubt, love to insecurity, community to individualism, contributing to consumerism, and rest to exhaustion.”

How true this is! Without Jesus and without resting in His promises there is no hope. 
We have reason to doubt, to be insecure and fearful, to strive toward individualism. 
Just look around at the attitudes and actions of people trying to make a statement, 
trying to be noticed, trying to be different, 
yet really just blending into the sameness of the culture.

What a consumeristic world. We accumulate and consume everything around us. 
Real values are replaced by temporary satisfaction. Reality is exchanged for virtuality. 

Some years ago I read “Pilgrims Progress Today” by Lael Arrington. She describes virtual reality as “an unsatisfying substitute for the epic adventure of real life.”  I’m thinking about reading it again.  
If you want to read and discuss it with me, comment, email, or Facebook me and I’ll contact you. 
It’s not an easy read. It is thought provoking and troubling.

In striving to individualize, to acquire, to achieve, to add one more credential, 
to climb one rung higher – we are exhausted and without peace.  
It is a world at war with each other and at war with itself.

BUT – our hope – as the hymn-writer Edward Mote wrote, “Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness … On Christ the solid Rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.”

Because of Jesus I can say with assurance, “It is well with my soul…. Though Satan should buffet, tho’ trials should come, let this blest assurance control. That Christ has regarded my helpless estate, and hath shed His own blood for my soul.” (H.G. Spafford)

Jesus brings me back 
to Faith,
to Love,
to Rest,
to Peace,
to Joy.
Thank You Jesus.

Spend time reading some of the promises of God. 
You’ll be refreshed.
And you will find rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment