Monday, January 5, 2015

Goodbyes and Hellos

“…for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Joshua 1:9c (KJV)


On the way to the airport with our kids and grandkids who were returning to Austria, I recalled similar trips from past years.  I thought of my mom and dad and all the goodbyes they had said to their children and grandchildren as we set off for mission work in Africa. I thought of all the miles they traveled between home and airports sending us off and picking us up, saying “good-byes” and “hellos.”

Our first send-off was in 1980 with our 2 and 5 year old sons, and over the course of the next 17 years there would be many departures and another grandchild.  My brother and his family also lived and worked overseas so mom and dad had many partings from them as well. During those years I never really thought about how it must have felt to be the ones left behind.

But now…
As one part of our family started their 18 hour cross-country drive, 


and another part of the family begins their intercontinental flight …


I remember.

I remember smiling faces,
Eyes glistening with tears,
Warm hugs,
And prayers in the airport.
I remember brave good-byes
And joyous reunions.
I remember waiting until the last possible moment to go through the security gate so we could take advantage of every minute to talk, then turning for one more wave goodbye.
I remember arriving back in the States looking for their smiling faces amidst the crowd of people waiting for loved ones at the arrivals gate.
I remember them meeting us at the airport with borrowed coats and boots, hoping something would fit because we were coming from a tropical country and there was snow at the airport on arrival.
I remember the long car-rides to and from the airport, complete with snacks in case the children were hungry.

I remember... 
And I am grateful.
Grateful for their support.
Grateful that they never made it difficult for us to leave 
and always welcomed our return.
Grateful for the lessons they taught me about letting go.
Grateful for their trust in a Sovereign God who watched over each of us wherever we went.
Grateful that the same God watches over each of my own dear ones whether they cross country or cross oceans.
Grateful that He is here with me, too.

“If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm139:9-10

6 comments:

  1. What a warm tribute to your parents and how they prepared you for your children and grandchildren's departures! What a blessing they were to you and you are to your kids & grandkids...and to all of us who know you and read your blog! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great reminder, and a precious recollection of your folks! I always wondered why my mom always cried when we started home, now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true how we gain new perspective as we become the elders.

      Delete
  3. I'm crying! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved having you with us. Lots more visits in our future, right?!

      Delete