Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day tribute to Dad


On Fathers' Day my thoughts turn naturally to my dad, Rev. William B. Haken. It was from him that I learned what a good man was like.  Here are some of the life lessons I learned from my dad.

  • Put God first.
  • Love God's Word, study it, live by it and teach it to others. 
  • Care about the souls of others and share Jesus whenever you can. 
  • Love people.
  • Show compassion.
  • Trust God.
  • Ask God. 
  • Pray with and for others. Each phone call from Dad ended with prayer. 
  • Be where God wants you to be.
  • Respect my mother. In our household back-talking or showing disrespect was not excused. 
  • Work hard. No job was too menial. Whether cleaning gutters, raking leaves, painting buildings, teaching classes or preaching sermons, all was to be done to the glory of God. 
  • Appreciate what God gives you and don't be wasteful. Be a good steward of the Lord's resources. 
  • Share.
  • Support and encourage missionaries.
  • Let my children go. All three of Dad's children went into full-time Christian ministry. Two of us went into foreign mission work, raising 7 of his 9 grandchildren in different countries on another continent. Our brother went on the road in full-time evangelism, later founding a church where he still ministers. Dad never complained about us being so far away. Rather, he supported us, encouraged us, kept in touch with us as often as possible, and visited us.  
  • Be patient. (This lesson I, unfortunately, am still struggling to try to learn!)
Dad "fought the good fight" and finished the work God gave him to do, passing away from leukemia in 1990. I still miss him. On this Fathers' Day I thank God for the wonderful father He gave me. I hope Dad knows how much his life influenced me over the years.  My one regret is that my own children didn't get to spend more time with this honorable and amazing man before God took him home. 

4 comments:

  1. How special to be reminded of your father today, Ruth.
    He was a very special man of God! I appreciated him and his teaching, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only got to meet him once...wish I would have known him better, but to know his wife, daughter, and grandchildren is proof of what a wonderful man he was. Blessed to be a part of his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad that you didn't know him well. But your hubby has some of Dad in him! His love of laughter, jokes, icecream...

      Delete