Monday, July 16, 2018

One Day at a Time

In a recent radio broadcast Dr. David Jeremiah was teaching about the prophet, Elijah. In the course of the message he said, “If God gave the widow a full barrel of flour (enough to last through the famine) she would learn to trust in the barrel instead of in God.” (You can find the details of the miracle in 1 Kings 17:8-16)
 
This brought to my mind these lyrics by Marijohn Wilkin, 1974 

“One Day at a time, Sweet Jesus, that’s all I’m asking of you.
Just give me the strength to do every day what I have to do.
Yesterday’s gone, Sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine,
Lord, help me today, show me the way, one day at a time.” 

Or how about this classic hymn, written by Swedish hymnist Lina Sandell Berg (1832-1903)

“Day by day and with each passing moment
Strength I find to meet my trials here.
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly it’s part of pain and pleasure
Mingling toil with peace and rest.”

The widow in the Bible did not get a full barrel of flour. What she did get was strength for each day
– one day at a time! But she only received the strength and the nourishment when each day she went to the pantry and dipped into the barrel.

 So we are promised strength for each day. But we need to go to the source daily to receive from His abundance exactly what is needed. Grace, direction, inspiration, forgiveness, comfort, mercy – whatever the need He provides! When I try to manage on my own, to conjure up my own solution, I go away hungry, weak and unsatisfied.

Father,
Forgive me for those times I doubt your provision and think I can manage on my own.
Help me each day to drink from the water of your Word,
to feast on the meat of the Word
and to rely on Your provision and strength for each day –
one day at a time.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment