Monday, July 23, 2018

More than a Declaration

Near the end of his life, Joshua gave a farewell address to the people of Israel. You can read it for yourself in Joshua chapters 23, 24. He reminded them that God had been fighting FOR them. He challenged them to:

Cling to the Lord.
Love the Lord.
Fear the Lord.
Serve the Lord.
Choose Him.
Obey Him.
Incline their hearts to Him.

Loving God is ACTIVE, not passive.
It involves choosing,
Following,
Serving,
Obeying,
Fearing,
Turning away from things of the world that distract us from Him,
Turning to Him in wholehearted adoration and worship.

To love God is more than just a decision or a declaration or a profession.
It is a putting OFF and a putting ON,
A turning FROM and a turning TO,
Running the race in pursuit of the goal,
Giving one’s life in the service of the Master,
Choosing His way over my way,
His thoughts over my thoughts,
His way over my will,
His Word over the world.
It is choosing THIS day and EVERY DAY to serve Him,
To choose life – HIS life,

Father God,
This day, today I again choose You!
Help me make choices that honor you.
Keep me from being distracted by anything that would draw me away from your will for me today.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment