Thursday, January 26, 2017

It's the Little Things

My husband woke me in the middle of the night so I could take him to the Emergency Room.  A CT scan revealed what he already suspected, a kidney stone. Measuring about 5mm this tiny stone, insignificant in size compared to the rest of his body, was creating unbearable pain.

Last week I had foot surgery to repair a torn ligament and straighten out my toe. Now in brand new footwear for the next 6 weeks I am constantly reminded that one little thing (a stone or a toe) can cause pain disproportionate to its size.   
Which leads me to think about some other “little” things that cause pain:
  • An unkind word
  • A criticism
  • A “white lie”
  • A harsh look
And some which bring comfort:
  • A kind word
  • A compliment
  • A smile
  • A helping hand
All are little things yet with opposite results.

In today’s painful climate of protests, hate speech, thuggery, fear mongering, threats and accusations, a few ‘little things’ could bring a ray of sunshine into an otherwise dismal day.
What little thing will I do today?
What will you do?

Love and joy,
Ruth
James 3:5 “So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things.
See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!”
Proverbs 25:11 “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”

No comments:

Post a Comment