Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Treasures to Ponder

Luke 2:19 "But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart."

For generations Mothers have stored treasures in their hearts, thoughtfully pondering significant moments in their lives. 
Mary had many things to ponder:
The strange course her life had suddenly taken as she was chosen to bear the Messiah, 
The message of the Angel, 
The pregnancy of cousin Elisabeth, 
The dream of Joseph, 
The unusual call for a worldwide census prompting the trip to Bethlehem,
The visit of the shepherds who, in response to an angelic choir, came seeking the newborn child. 

And I wonder -
What are some of the things I treasure in my heart?
What causes me to ponder?
The older I get the more treasures accumulate, until I sometimes think my heart cannot possibly hold any more.
Memories from my early years at the Bible Camp my father directed,
Fun in our family home at the foot of the mountain,
Youth for Christ choir,
Church youth group,
Nursing school,
Meeting my husband, Pete, and the journey we've taken as a married couple - from PA to Illinois, to Tennessee, back to PA, to Nigeria, to PA, to Kenya, and to Kansas - each stop filled with moments to treasure and to ponder.
God's provision
God's protection
God's direction
The hurts
The healings
The helps
And with the birth of each of our children and grandchildren came many more moments to treasure and to ponder.
Each child, a unique treasure, dearly loved and wanted. 
Each memory like a shining pearl on a strand of best-loved pearls.

Sometimes life gets so crazy and hectic that we don't take time to ponder. 
Maybe now - in this last third of my life - it is good to think back, to remember and to recount, to lift my voice in thankful praise to God - who in His miraculous grace and mercy - gave me much to treasure.

How about you? What treasures will you ponder?

3 comments:

  1. I have a lot to ponder, but each step of the way, each moment in my life was a lesson to learn. Each person that has crossed my path along the way was meant to be there. God has strategically placed me where I needed to be and with whom I needed to be near. Ruth you were one of the people that God sent my way and I am truly grateful for your friendship. Again, I have so much to be grateful for..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Isn't it wonderful how God provides for us all along the way. He truly loves us.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete