Monday, November 3, 2014

Journey or Destination?



I caught just a snippet of a broadcast on my car radio. Admittedly, I did not hear the entire segment so perhaps the speaker gave some credible explanation, or perhaps I misunderstood. But what I heard was, “It’s about the journey not the destination.” 

Unfortunately, I am afraid, many people place far too little importance on the destination. Of course the journey is important. But even the most incredible journey ends in disappointment if you don’t arrive at your expected destination!  

Ultimately the destination is certain. To the one who believes in Him, Jesus said,
“In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you; 
I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you I will come again and receive you unto myself that where I am there you may be also.” (John 14:2,3).
The Christian’s destination is Heaven (Mark 16:19, Acts 1:11).  
And Jesus is THE only way to get there. (John 14:6).

The journey may look different for each of us.
Along the way there are great joys and great sorrows,
Disappointments and delights,
Sickness and health,
Accomplishments and failures.

We can face the journey with faith or with doubt,
Courage or fear,
And at various times … degrees of each.

So while it is important that we journey in obedience and faith, loving God and each other,
The main thing is that we know where we are going,
How to get there,
And that we arrive at the intended destination!

Let's not get so caught up by the distractions along the way that we lose sight of what awaits us around the bend! We have a glorious hope and a future promised by the Creator of the universe Himself.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God 
 so that you may know that you have eternal life.  1 John 5:13 

Do you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment