Monday, June 6, 2016

Doing what comes naturally

God’s commands supersede natural inclinations.  In 1 Kings chapter 17 there is an account from the life of the prophet Elijah. God told Elijah to go into hiding and that He had commanded the Ravens to feed him. And they did! “The Ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning, and bread and meat in the evening.” (Verse 6) I have sometimes wondered why the birds didn’t eat the food themselves. That would be their natural behavior. Then I considered that they could not because their Creator commanded them otherwise.

We may sometimes excuse our behavior because we are just doing “what comes naturally” even though it may be hurtful to others or ourselves. But if we want to follow Jesus, desire to please Him, and have positive impact on those in our sphere of influence, His Word will rule over our natural tendencies.  In John 14:15 Jesus said, If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”   Obedience to Him is one way we demonstrate our love for Him.

So today, I choose to NOT do what comes naturally, but rather to live supernaturally and do what pleases Him.  Perhaps I’ll start with this: “Let my mouth be filled with your praise and with your glory all the day.” Psalm 71:8

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer.”  Psalm 19:14


No comments:

Post a Comment