Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Strength for Today

1 Samuel 30:6 “But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.”

Strength for each day comes only from the Lord. No pill, smoothie, supplement, exercise, self-help book or guru gives strength, encouragement and fortitude in the face of anguish and distress.

1 Samuel chapter 30 finds David in grave danger of being stoned to death by the very men whom he led! He was in “much distress” and grief. His wives, along with the wives and children of his men, had been captured by a raiding party and carted off by their captors while David and his men were away in battle.  Now David’s men were threatening to kill him. His own men whom he provided for, sheltered and had led in numerous victories, turned on him at a time when he also needed comfort. 

His response?
  • He “strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” Verse 6 
  • Then he inquired of the Lord as to what he should do. Verse 8
  • He did what the Lord showed him. Verse 9
  •  And he gave glory to God for victory. Verse 23
What can I learn from this?

No matter the grief or trial,
                I have no need to fear
For God, my strength and fortress,
                Has promised He will hear.
If I will call on Him in prayer,
                He’ll show me what to do.
When in obedience, I trust Him,
                His strength will get me through.
Then I will give Him all the glory,
                Give Him all the praise.
For He, in mercy and great love,
                Has seen me through tough days.

How about you? Where do you find strength for each day?

“Discouragement turns to encouragement when we look away from our circumstances and focus our eyes upon the Lord.” (Mildred Stamm, Meditation Moments)

No comments:

Post a Comment