Monday, March 30, 2015

Hear Him

Mary Magdalene  Scripture:  John 20:1-18

The story of Mary Magdalene at the tomb has always amazed me. So engulfed in grief over her Lord's death, she blocks out the reality of life. It takes a word from Jesus to move her from the past (the crucifixion) into the present (the resurrection) so that she can go forward into the future.

She stands outside the tomb crying. Bending down she sees two angels in white sitting in the crypt where the body of Jesus had been. The angels ask why she weeps.   
“Jesus’ body is gone and I don’t know where they have taken him.”
Hear the despair in her words.
Gripped by sorrow she focuses inward, seemingly unfazed by the angel visitation.

She turns and sees Jesus - but she doesn’t know him. Why doesn’t she know this beloved one?  Could it be because his appearance defied her expectation?
When Jesus asks why she is weeping even his voice did not break through. 
Seeing with her eyes, she did not truly see.
Hearing, she did not truly hear. 
Assuming him to be the Gardner, she pleads,
“If you have taken him away tell me where you put him.”
Intent on finding him dead, she did not know him alive!

Cutting through her shell of despair and agony, Jesus speaks her name.
His voice breaks through.
Her eyes see Him!
Her ears hear Him!
Joy, joy, joy!
Comfort received.
Her heart is at peace.
The news is shared.

Perhaps sometimes we miss the miraculous because of our expectations.
We don’t expect to find him near, so we fail to hear him when he speaks.  
Focused on our disappointment, we fail to see the power of the living Lord at work on our behalf and in our world.  Wrapped in the garments of pain and uncertainty, we refuse the comfort that Jesus offers. We need a word from the Lord to move us from our past into the present so that we can walk victoriously into the future.

He’s given us his Word. Today I choose to hear him.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ruth. I hung on every word. Such a comfort. And I am keeping to re-read when I am sinking into the past, to remind me the present doesn't always look like the past. I need to open my heart and mind, and trust Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you were helped. What a comfort it is to know that, because of the Resurrection, we can experience NEW life in Christ!

    ReplyDelete